#FreeWillyFriday: Son of Willy

 With the original Willy freed from this mortal coil, I had to go another direction to keep the series (by which I mean my series of self-drawn posters in my school notebook) going.

Perhaps I meant this as a principled stand against the constant returns from the dead in comics, though that's a principle about which I can be fickle. Or maybe I just figured it was an obvious setup for a sequel.

One of the first movie sequels was “The Son of the Sheik,” a silent 1926 follow-up to 1921's “The Sheik” and the last film made by Rudolph Valentino. And before that sounds like I ingeniously referenced cinematic history from my vast wealth of movie knowledge, let me be clear that it came from the Internet's vast movie knowledge and I found it while searching for movies with “Son of” in the title, because outside of “Son of Godzilla,” I was having trouble thinking of some.

My exhaustive research also turned up “Son of Kong,” released the year after the original “King Kong” and perhaps a future entry in the Monsterverse (I didn't go down that rabbit hole because I still haven't seen the new “Godzilla vs. Kong” and you know how I feel about spoilers).

Disney followed up 1961's “The Absent-Minded Professor” two years later with “Son of Flubber.” I've never seen either, but from what little I know about the substance in question, that seems an odd title choice?

One of the more interesting ones I found was 1962's “The Son of Captain Blood,” in which Sean Flynn plays the son of the character portrayed by his dad, Errol, in 1935's “Captain Blood.” I didn't see those either.

It seems like a few of these posters are seventh-grade Evan's attempts to emulate movies or concepts he only vaguely understood. But it's not like I've been trying to pass them off as layered social commentary.

Maybe the above films should be placed on my “to-watch” list along with my ever-burgeoning “to-read” comic boxes.

What are some other “Son of” movies I left off here?

Comments