Miraculous Role Reversal


When people found out I was going to be the father of a girl, and then two girls, they occasionally asked me with whom I was going to share my love of superheroes and science fiction.

The answer's simple: my daughters.

They might not be quite as obsess- er, enthusiastic as me all the time, but they've watched and learned about plenty of both. Several years ago, when I said something to my oldest about the library being closed, she matter-of-factly told me we could still get inside if we had the powers of Flatman. While I gently advised her against using one's powers to break the law, I was really impressed at such a deep cut from a not-even-6-year-old.

Usually, I'm the one introducing them to various superheroes and strange characters, but recently, the oldest got me to check out a dynamic duo with which I was unfamiliar: Ladybug and Cat Noir, the stars of the computer-animated series “Miraculous.”

I'd seen the characters here and there, occasionally getting them confused with David Soman and Jacky Davis' wonderful “Ladybug Girl” series of books the oldest liked to read. But I knew nothing about them until she discovered the show on YouTube and then Netflix.

The anime-influenced series focuses on Marinette Dupain-Cheng, a young teen living in Paris and in unrequited love with classmate Adrien Agreste, a teen model. Thanks to Tikki, a magical creature known as a Kwami, Marinette can transform into Ladybug, who apparently has enhanced strength, speed and reflexes, an almost-indestructible yo-yo and the ability to summon a magical “lucky charm” that is is just what she needs to solve a particular problem.

She partners with Cat Noir, who is empowered by the Kwami, Plagg. He has the same enhanced physical attributes, plus a telescopic staff and a destructive touch known as the “Cataclysm.”

Cat Noir has a crush on Ladybug, forming quite the love rectangle (?) since he's actually Adrien.

The inter-personal dynamics lead to lots of comedy and innocent romantic drama in the tradition of classic comic heroes. They've also softened my oldest's stance on romance in entertainment somewhat. She still recoils at the potentially lovey-dovey moments, but she doesn't rail against them and leave the room like she did when Han and Leia would get awkwardly close in “The Empire Strikes Back.”

Ladybug and Cat Noir's primary antagonist is Hawk Moth, who has his own Kwami-granted abilities that allow him to imbue various Parisians with powers via enchanted butterflies called akumas. The transformations occur when they're in the grip of negative emotions, such as an unjustly fired policeman who turns into relentless enforcer of justice in “Rogercop”or a TV news reporter whose prime time show is canceled when an interview with the heroes goes awry in “Prime Queen.” Most of these characters have some connection to Marinette, Adrien or their classmates.

The episodes tend to follow a formula, but they're executed very well, and there's genuine all-ages humor. The action is above and beyond what I expected and always very creative.

Occasional episodes rely on your familiarity with the formula to break it, such as when the young heroes save rich-girl bully Chloe from her oft-ignored best friend, who's been traumatized into an invisible villain called the Vanisher. The problem is solved quickly, but not before Marinette's frustration with Chloe boils over in her Ladybug identity. Since Marinette's tormentor is a huge Ladybug fan (a real Flash Thompson situation), Chloe is transformed into Antibug.

The first episode starts with the characters already established, but my daughter assured me an origin would be coming. It did, with a two-parter in episodes 15 and 16 of the first season, which hints at a broader story than I initially expected.

Even before we started watching the episodes in order, I figured out the identity of Hawk Moth, an accomplishment I wear with the same badge of honor I awarded myself for solving the “Busytown Mysteries” before Huckle. Hey, I'm not always the best with theories.

Dads, if you're looking for some superhero fare to watch with your daughters, check out “Miraculous” on Netflix.

Comments