#FreeWillyFriday: The Last of the Willies

 This is another false alarm.

I still have a few more Willy sequels left to reveal, despite this one, which was inspired by the title – and only the title – of James Fenimore Cooper's classic novel, “The Last of the Mohicans.” I haven't read it, nor did I see the movie version starring Daniel Day-Lewis, released about a year before I drew this.

Had I been assigned to read it in school, I'm not sure I would have given it a fair shake. I used to say I only liked two books I had to read in school, but I can only remember one of them – “The Mayor of Casterbridge.” I complained about a lot of the others, and while I'm certainly entitled to my opinion, I doubt that I was the kid whose critical mind finally toppled years of wrongheaded literary criticism and educational strategy.

Sometimes I think I should re-read some of those books, although if I went through “The Scarlet Letter” again, I believe I might still come away with a strong desire to go back in time and give Nathaniel Hawthorne some periods to keep his sentences under a page. Maybe I would figure out why some people consider “Wuthering Heights” romantic; I just thought it was about a bunch of psychos trying to ruin each other's lives.

I did continue the theme – OK, that's wording it generously; how about idea? – of Willy being mutated by toxic waste. That got me thinking about when comic characters (you didn't really think I'd make it through a whole blog talking about books without pictures, did you?) get altered or mutated further.

Superman turned blue and lightning-y for reasons I never fully grasped (perhaps if I'd read those comics). The Hulk went from green (back) to gray just before I started reading the title semi-regularly after an attempt to cure him went awry. One of my favorite Spider-Man stories as a kid was when he got cosmic powers in the midst of the “Acts of Vengeance” crossover, which is going to be another one of my back-issue bin targets.

(Spectacular Spider-Man #158, Sal Buscema; Superman (Vol. 2) #123, Ron Frenz)


Comments