#FreeWillyFriday: Super Willy Bros.

I may not be able to deliver the line with the bone-chilling gravity of (um, 33-year-old spoiler warning) young Alex Vincent as Andy Barclay in “Child's Play,” but this is the end, friend.

Despite the subtitles of parts 6 and 14, this is where I stopped producing my series of posters for tongue-in-cheek sequels to “Free Willy.”

Why did I stop? You mean besides the fact that I had gone from horror spoofs to crossovers to puns back to crossovers and now to … this?

I don't know. It wasn't due to space constraints. The rest of that section of my 3-subject notebook is blank. Incidentally, the next section begins with geometry definitions, from an actual class, which is why I had the notebook to begin with. But a few pages later it segues into the beginnings of an elaborate Marvel Super Heroes Role-Playing Game campaign I'd entitled “Time Collapse.”

Here's the notebook. I liked the University of Miami t the time.

I don't know who named the Luigi analogue here Chilly, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't me. I thought I'd remembered when I posted these on Facebook a while back, but I tagged a former classmate and he said that, while he did remember this nonsense of mine, he could not take credit. Something tells me it wasn't modesty.

I presume the concept was influenced primarily by Super Mario Brothers 3, an all-time classic game that I would still find enjoyable and replayable today. As I mentioned previously, I didn't conquer that game until I was a senior in high school.

I was largely out of the Mario gaming loop until my brother got a Nintendo 64. I chose the Sega Genesis over the Super Nintendo because they had that sweet X-Men game.

It probably had less to do with the 1993 live-action Super Mario Bros. Movie starring Bob Hoskins and Dennis Hopper. I didn't see that in the theater but read the junior novelization long before I watched the movie on video. I don't have much more to say about that, other than to remind you that arguably the greatest Swedish band of all time, Roxette, did the love song for the soundtrack.

So what have we learned from this adventure? Well...

  1. Some of the stuff I haven't thrown away from my youth can still come in handy, even if it's just to develop the discipline of regularly posting blog entries.

  2. I had a lot of free time in school.

  3. People are more interested in reading posts about Kickers Inc. than fake “Free Willy” sequels.

I appreciate you taking time out of whatever strange Internet rabbit hole led you to this point in cyberspace. (Do the kids still call it that?) Please check out some of my other posts, like my epic journey through the CapWolf saga or this one that attempts to combine the excitement of the first MCU movie in nearly two years with toilet humor.

And check back if you want to see more creative endeavors from my youth. I probably won't post any new drawings, lest you see how little I've improved.

Comments